It happens to all of us. If an electrical issue in your home isn’t posing a direct hindrance in your life, you may be tempted to put off giving an emergency electrician a call until a later, more convenient time. If your business runs into an electrical issue here or there, you may choose to avoid calling your Colorado commercial electrical contractor until there’s really something to worry about. Unfortunately, this line of thinking can lead people to unknowingly put themselves, their families, and their businesses in a potentially dangerous situation.
According to the ESFi, there are more than 50,000 house fires caused by electrical malfunctions each year that account for $1.3 billion in property damage. Here are some of the biggest indicators that you should get an emergency electrician on the line as soon as possible.
- Flickering Lights: Light flickering is an electrical issue that many people opt to overlook. While it may not always be cause for alarm, if lights flicker when you plug in a certain appliance or the flickering is occurring on a daily basis, give your emergency electrician a call.
- Sparks are Flying When You Plug in An Appliance: If you notice a white or yellow spark that lasts more than a split second, contact your Denver electrician. Whether it be an improper installation or an entirely different matter altogether, sparks can easily turn into a fire.
- Burning Smells or Smoke: The smell of burning from outlets or appliances means that the outlet or appliance is overheating. Other signs of burning are discolored light switches or outlets, such as black or brown marks on the plastic. As soon as you detect the smell or signs of burning, switch off the relevant outlet and unplug the appliance and any associated power boards. Afterward, it’s time to call an 24-hour electrician to carry out a complete diagnosis of your home or your business’ electrical system.
- Humming or Buzzing Sounds: Whether it be coming from your breaker box or an electrical outlet, hearing humming or buzzing sounds is a sure sign that there’s something funky going on with your wiring or that there’s a faulty circuit breaker. That’s not something to mess around with—call your full service electrician right away if this ever happens.
- Water Damage: It’s no secret that, when put together, water and electricity can cause disastrous and dangerous situations. If your business or your home faces a leak or a flooding issue, it’s probably a smart move to give your commercial electrical contractor a call ASAP.
Don’t Wait to Call an Emergency Electrician
The last thing you want to do is put your family or your employees and clients in danger. Whether you are a homeowner or run a business, it’s important to identify the warning signs of electrical faults so you can be proactive about saving lives and money in the long run.
At Piper Electric Co., we perform commercial electrical services, industrial services, and we additionally serve industrial clients with any and all of their electrical needs. Not only that, but we have years of experience and quality, good ol’ fashioned customer service to boot.
No matter what the problem is, if you have a lingering feeling that something to do with your property’s electricity is amiss, rest assured that you can give Piper Electric a call anytime, anywhere.