The Holidays are a time to celebrate with family and friends. The Holidays bring people together as we decorate our homes, cook together, visit friends or welcome family. Be safe this Holiday Season & protect your family and home.
Did you know:
- 905 people die in winter home fires each year.
- One of every three home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems.
- 67 percent of winter fires occur in one- and two-family homes.
- 5 to 8 p.m. is the most common time for winter home fires.
- More than half (56 percent) of home candle fires occur when something that can catch on fire is too close to the candle.
To keep your home and family safe this season follow these Holiday Safety Tips from your Denver Electrician Piper Electric Co., Inc.:
- Keep any decorating extension cords away from high traffic areas.
- Try using LED lights in all décor – they generate less heat.
- Never drape any decoration over a light bulb or lamp shade.
- Turn off all Holiday lights before leaving your house.
- This is a good time of year to test smoke alarms.
- Don’t overload your outlets.
- If using power outside, make sure all décor and cords are rated for outdoor use.
- All Holiday decor should be plugged in a GFCI outlet.
- Never connect more than three strands of incandescent lights together.
- Follow all manufacturers’ recommendations for any electrical decoration.
Piper Electric Co., Inc. wishes you and your family a wonderful Holiday Season, and we look forward to serving you in 2015.
Taken in part from the National Fire Incident Reporting System & esfi.org